The blog will involve research and the presentation of materials in several formats addressing issues related to a forthcoming 282 Architecture Design Studio (in Spring). The studio will design accommodation for the PSU Social Practice Master of Fine Arts program. This program emphasizes community engagement through non-studio creative activities executed in the field.

1/31/2008

A COLLECTION IN ARIZONA




Eliphante is a sculptural home in Cornville, Ariz., created over 28 years by artist Michael Kahn and his wife, Leda Livant, out of found materials. The elephant-like entrance to one of the structures gave the building and the compound their name.


A piano is built into a wall of driftwood.



THERE CAN BE SUCH BEAUTY WITHIN THE COLLECTION AND ARRANGEMENT OF MATERIALS BY HAND.


http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/30/garden/0131-ELIPHANTE_index.html

3 comments:

Eric said...

Here we go! This reminds me of The Shire in Lord of the Rings. What I like about this is its use of materials around the space. I don't think we need to dig a hole and build a cave, but incorporating elements around the lot and/or the neighborhood into our garden and "yard" is a fun idea. These images show a warm and welcoming space that feels friendly and will make people entering the space feel like they've left the real world. I like this.

This may be a little off topic too but these sorts of "dwellings" have a very mystic quality to them. I already said it reminds me of the Shire, but it also makes me think about dwarves, forests, beer, fireflies, and happy times. There are a couple pubs in town that do the same thing for me: most notably is McMennamins (like the St. Johns theatre pub). I think a great quality about Portland is the beer culture and structures like this seems to work nicely with that for some reason.

Eric said...

I think I might add some more about beer here...

I think beer halls and pubs are great places for social gatherings. they invite conversation, discussion, and time spent in such a place can go by quickly. Before you know it, it's been 3 hours. Not to mention that the beer itself allows one to settle down, relax, and allow you to say or think in ways that might not have been possible if relaxation never occurred.

This is what is being evoked in such spaces. As I said before, it is warm, inviting, and there is a sense of the capability of being able to relax in it. Many of the white walled; formal; gallery or museum-looking spaces offer a much more organized and "hands-off" feel. This can be tampered with through various decorations, events, etc., but it takes more work because it carries more "baggage."

Eric said...

Oh yeah.
Pub culture is one spot where social revolutions occur! You may have thought I was just kidding about my first mentioning of beer or pubs, but I'm quite serious...check out this link:

http://socialpractice.org/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/untitled-1.html